Systems Programmer Analyst II – Mountain View, California
We’re looking for outstanding individuals to play pivotal roles in defining the next generation of SourceForge, one of the Top 100 web sites in the world and the world’s largest Open Source software development Web site.
SourceForge Inc. (www.sourceforge.com) is the leading network of technical sites serving the IT, developer, and technology communities, delivering more than 250 million page views and more than 30 million unique visitors per month. SourceForge is consistently ranked the #1 technology network for delivering visitors who look for technology news online and for delivering visitors who make software and hardware purchases (according to Neilsen/NetRatings Spring 2005 @Plan Report). SourceForge business is in Internet media, and e-commerce.
This role will support the ongoing maintenance and improvement of the SourceForge site backend and developer services. SourceForge competes for the best talent. Our compensation package consists of salary, equity, and a full suite of benefits.
- Execution of analysis, design, implementation, documentation, testing, and maintenance tasks as part of ongoing strategic and operational initiatives
- Supporting the efforts of the SourceForge.net Service Operations team as needed; applying team-defined best practices, including testing and documentation, in all team project work
- Assisting efforts to improve maintainability, uptime, and performance of the SourceForge.net site backend and developer services
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of (4) four years of software-related work experience; or equivalent skills and a four-year degree
- Minimum 3 years experience with management of UNIX systems including Linux or FreeBSD
- Minimum 3 years experience with either the Perl or Python programming language. Experience in writing test cases a plus.
- Minimum 1 year experience in designing and authoring SQL database applications
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
Desired Motivation and Teamwork:
- Support the use of the IEEE-CS/ACM Software Engineering Code of Ethics and Professional Practice
- Self-motivated, able to work independently as part of a geographically-distributed team
- Ability to effectively communicate online through use of strong written and verbal communication skills
- SCM knowledge, including CVS and Subversion
- Must be willing to write documentation and perform testing on maintained components
Desired Experience and Traits:
- Development and maintenance of complex software applications
- Existing experience with the Open Source community
- Experience with a site or service which requires high uptime, such as a 24×7 environment or regulated industry
- Experience with deployment of scalable services based on GNU Mailman, Subversion, CVS, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or lighttpd
This position is open to candidates who will work remotely in the US, or work in our Mountain View, California office. Preference will be given to candidates who are in the Mountain View area and will work from the office. Candidate must be located within the US.
SourceForge is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation or any other unlawful basis.
To apply: http://web.sourceforge.com/apply_now.php.